Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Book Club

I used to be an avid reader. Most of my childhood allowance was spent on books. In college, despite all my class reading, I usually had 3 different books going at once. There were nights I didn't sleep, so I could finish a book. Since I graduated, and entered the work force, I rarely read. I've limited myself to collections of short stories, which I enjoy, but I don't even finish those books.

I want to read again. I've suggested to the husbo that he and I start a book club. Each month, we would recommend a book to each other, and then we discuss. He reads mostly science, political, and music works of non-fiction. I prefer fiction, short-stories, memoirs, biographies, and children's books. So this could turn us off to reading all together. We'd be reading out of our comfort zones but be able to talk about it with someone who cares.

I have one friend who always lends me books that are dead on perfect for me, but I see him so rarely that I feel bad having his books so long.

If anyone has 3 -5 books that they think are a must read, please let me know what they are. In case the husbo offers some slow reads, I'd like to have something else to fuel me.

Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. I've said it before and I'll say it again. You should read "Mortified". I've also read "Cringe," which is a similar idea, but not QUITE as good in my opinion and I'm currently reading "Mortified: Love is a Battlefield," but it's a bit graphic for my taste.

    I also really enjoyed "Revolutionary Road" - you might like that if you haven't read it.

    Hmm...I don't know what else. I'm looking at my 5-star books on goodreads.com and nothing is really screaming KATE to me, but I don't know your book taste that well.

    ReplyDelete