Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Are You Smarter Than an Anesthesiologist?

I was in for sinus surgery, and I'm on pain meds, so that's my excuse for grammar/spelling mishaps.

In preparation, I had to consult my endocrinologist (diabetes doctor) regarding insulin pump instructions during the surgery. He had told me to decrease the basal rate (the small amount that is constantly streaming in me, not what I give myself for eating) by 50% the morning of and throughout the surgery.

My blood sugar was running a little high yesterday and this morning, which usually happens right before my period, which is on the horizon. So, this morning, I decided to only lower it by 30%. It was 189, and when the staff led me to believe I was close to surgery time, I did lower it to 50%.

Then, about a half hour later an anesthesiologist, who was not the first one I consulted with, came in and told me to lower it. I told her that I had already lowered it by 50%. She said to lower it 50%. I said I did. She said 50% of 50%, and I wanted to clarify, so I asked, "You mean 75%?" She said no. I had to ask that if it's orginally set for .900, and was now set at .450, should I set it at about .2 something? She seemed confused and had to think about it, but eventually I got a yes.

I set it way back (by 70%-it only lets me go by tens), because she said I was going back soon, however it was over an hour from that time that they took me back. I was scheduled to be there at 8:45, but I wasn't taken back until after 11:00. Not a problem, but no one came over to give me any status updates.

Anyway, my blood sugar ended up being just a little high after the surgery, but it got pretty high once I left and came home.

I just expect anesthesiologists to have a better grip on math.

1 comment:

  1. Um...I went to high school with someone who is now an anesthesiologist and I can say for certain that math was not one of her strong suits...or any other subject for that matter. Maybe it's the same girl. :)

    ReplyDelete