Thursday, March 26, 2009

Obtuse

I have been making an effort to exercise more regularly, but since I am not fitting into my usual gym clothes, and I don't want to buy new ones, I am limiting myself to walking and doing exercise videos in my house. Yes, I pay a gym membership fee, but I won't go until I lose some weight. Yes, that's ridiculous.

So, I've been walking around a park near my house, and here are some random things I've noticed or thought about.

When walking on a track, some people go clockwise, some go counter-clockwise. I never like to go the same way two days in a row. I like to mix it up. I usually make my decision when I get to the park and can survey where the other people are, because the worst is when you catch up to people (or them to you), and then you either have to go slower or break into a trot so you're not walking together. But when you are coming face to face to someone, shouldn't it be policy to move to the right of the track? I would think so. Let's say there are two people coming towards you. I would think that they should single-file it (one person moves ahead on the right) until they pass you. It's ridiculous how often I have to move to the grass. It's even worse when it's a duo (or more), and they are walking a dog. I should not have to maneuver to get around a dog. If you've got the dog, you move out of your way so your dog doesn't touch me. I am not anti-dog, I am merely pro-etiquette. I don't know how people can be so obtuse...

Which sort of segues into this next story. I was substitute teaching in a resource room for math this afternoon, and one of the students has actually been dubbed "Debbie Downer" by her teacher and instructional associate. I wish I had a muted trumpet to play after everything she said, except for one thing that I thought deserved a rim shot. We were discussing angles, and she grabbed her stomach, I mean she was actually able to grab it from both sides and move it up and down, and said, "Now this is obtuse!"

I should have pointed out that, no, it didn't match the definition of obtuse, but I decided to ignore it and keep on to prevent myself from going, "Wah, wah."

I wasn't really done talking about walking on the track, I just wanted to get some mileage out of "obtuse." Anyway, I just want to add that I do not get the act of walking and holding hands. At all. I enjoy holding the husbo's hand when we are on the couch together, or in bed, but I find it downright complicated and irritating to try and walk and hold hands. Can someone explain it to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment